The AMS virtual library includes three kinds of resources: ebooks, downloadable audiobooks, and online databases. Students can access the online databases through MackinVIA without any additional login and password, even from outside the school building!
What is in the virtual library?
- Online databases – Access them from home with just one login!
- Downloadable audiobooks
Where is it?
The virtual library is online. You can access it by logging into MackinVIA in one of two ways…
- By going directly to the website (http://www.mackinvia.com/default.aspx)
- By downloading the MackinVIA app. Your login (see below) will let you check out and download the ebooks and audiobooks the AMS library owns and access our online databases.
How do I log in?
- Select Annapolis Middle School from the drop-down menu. Teachers & staff can also access our virtual professional library by selecting Virtual Professional Library.
- User name: Your Student ID/Employee ID (employees, you need a six-digit number, so add zeroes before your ID until you have six digits)
- Password: The last 4 digits of your Student ID/Employee ID
What is an online database?
- An online database is a collection of academic sources for research. These resources are written by experts and are not available on the Internet. They can only be accessed with a paid database subscription.
- Online databases are also collected and organized for student use. They are the most efficient and credible sources for students doing research.
How do I get to them through MackinVIA?
- Look for the “Databases” link in the menu on the left-hand side of the page. You can see only databases by clicking on that link.
- You can also check under Groups for collections of resources around a specific topic.
- The database will open in a new tab or window, but will log you in automatically.
- You DO need to be connected to the Internet the entire time you are using online databases.
- Online databases will work on your phone or tablet, and there are even apps for some!
What is an ebook/downloadable audio book?
- “Ebook” is short for “electronic book.” It just means a book that you read on a tablet, phone, or computer instead of a paper book. This means you can’t lose them or damage them, and they will return themselves automatically so they are never overdue.
- Downloadable audio books are mp3s of recorded books that you can download and listen to on your phone, tablet, or computer. They will work on any device.
What kind of ebooks does AMS have?
We have about 400 ebooks & audiobooks, and our collection is growing. We have some Black-Eyed Susan books and many of the assigned novels for Language & Literature as audiobooks.
How many people can view or check out the ebooks at a time?
- For most ebooks, we have one copy, which means only one person can have the book open or checked out at a time, just as if it were a print book.
- There are some non-fiction ebooks that are multi-user, mainly dealing with US and world history. These can be used by an unlimited number of people at the same time.
- All of our audiobooks are single-user.