Welcome! Here are some great websites for locating pictures for your theme project.
Remember that your search is only as good as the keywords you use! Here is a web page with some tips on keyword searching. If you’re not finding the information you need, take a look and see if it helps.
Art and Theme
- Google Art Project – Search artworks from hundreds of museums around the world (this is super nifty, because you can log in and create your own art collection!). Search by keyword, title, or artist.
- Britannica ImageQuest – Search by keyword, artist, or title. This is a subscription database, which means you have to have a password when you’re not at school. You can get the password in the library or log in through MackinVIA.
- Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History – View artwork by region or time period, or search by keyword.
- National Gallery of Art – Search by artist, title, or keyword.
- Smithsonian American Art Museum – Search for artwork by artist, title, or keyword.
- The Walters Art Gallery – Look for the search bar at the BOTTOM of the page. Sneaky!
- Web Art Gallery – Again, the search bar is at the bottom. Use the box marked “Text” to search by keyword.
- Genre Index – Choose a category, then pick from artwork related to that category.