Science is all about doing good research. The tips below will help you stay organized and guide you to great resources as you work on your science fair research.
- Use EasyBib to keep track of information sources like books or websites.
- You should have paper directions for logging in or registering for EasyBib. When you are logged in, you will see the AMS dragon on the EasyBib website.
- Log in before you start searching. Keep EasyBib open in a separate tab so you can easily record sources as you go.
- Need help? Try EasyBib’s video tutorials. For citing sources, go here. For more information, go here (the second one is blocked in school, though :()
Online databases are one of the best resources for research. They include up-to-date, published information from newspapers, magazines, academic journals (where scientists publish their research), encyclopedias, historical documents, videos, pictures, maps, and much more. The information you get from databases is generally more credible (true) than information found on websites. For more information on online databases, read What is a Database and Why Do I Care?
- Britannica School
- EBSCO Science Reference Center
- SIRS Discoverer
- Gale CENGAGE Science in Context
- DK Find Out
- World Almanac for Kids Online
- FactCite Science
- World Book Online
- Science News for Students
- Eurekalert! Science Reports for Students
- Tween Tribune
- Science News from FactMonster
- NASA Websites
You can get to all our online databases from home using MackinVIA. You only have to log in once, so it’s much easier to use them at home than it has been in the past. Here’s how:
- Go to www.mackinvia.com or download the MackinVIA app.
- Type (or copy & paste) Annapolis Middle School. You should see a menu with our school’s name and address. Click to choose Annapolis Middle School.
- Log in using your:
- ID: Student ID
- PW: the last 4 digits of your Student ID
- Click on “Databases” on the left.
- For help using MackinVIA, go here.
Need more help?
You can contact Ms. Buck through the library Edmodo group for your grade. If you were a member last year, it’s the same group as last year! If not, follow the links below to request membership. I will check at least once a day!
- Grade 6: https://edmo.do/j/jckuxx
- Grade 7: https://edmo.do/j/e3txh5
- Grade 8: https://edmo.do/j/zmuivu